If you love restaurants and you love to travel, this book will be your bible! From the private tatami rooms at Ten-Ichi in Tokyo to the sidewalk tables at Da Silvano in New York City, EVERYBODY EATS THERE: Inside the World's Legendary Restaurants by William Stadiem and Mara Gibbs is the ultimate tour of the liveliest, most beautiful, most delicious, most glamorous, most exclusive 100 restaurants on earth-and how they got that way.
Stadiem and Gibbs reveal the mystique and excitement of the world's most fabulous eateries that are packed with A-listers every night. Funny, acerbic, totally in-the-know, EVERYBODY EATS THERE is part travelogue, part social commentary to give readers the real inside dish. Dine topless with Pamela Anderson in St. Tropez, share roast suckling pig with Bill Clinton in Madrid, eat the best Italian food on earth in San Paolo, party with The Stones in Tokyo, join the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a Wild West saloon and get picked up by Warren Beatty in Los Angeles.
EVERYBODY EATS THERE weaves together lavish celebrity stories and incisive biographies of the famed chefs and restaurateurs with descriptions of the food that will whet appetites and jump-start plans for future dining excursions. Stadiem and Gibbs-with their discerning palates and social antennae-tell us what to eat, what to wear and how to behave once we make it in. Most guidebooks are about one city, or one country, and overload you with bad choices. EVERYBODY EATS THERE looks at restaurants as one global food club. And we're invited to join in.
The result-an engrossing read on the history of modern dining. Read how:
- Al Capone embraces JOE'S STONE CRAB in Miami as his favorite dining spot
- Henri Soule jumps ship after the 1939 World's Fair and invents Manhattan snob French cuisine at LE PAVILION
- Ernest Hemingway turns readers into foodies by mythologizing CASA BOTIN in Madrid and HARRY'S BAR in Venice
- Hairdresser Michael Chow opens the first MR CHOW in London during the swinging sixties. It was architecturally famous for its firehouse staircase for looking up miniskirts
- DAVE in Paris pushes the envelope of snob appeal by serving take-out level Chinese fare to the world's chic-est crowd
- Princess Diana anoints SAN LORENZO as London's royal trattoria
- Alice Waters builds a special bathroom for future presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton at CHEZ PANISSE
And much, much more!
The dream tour, EVERYBODY EATS THERE reveals the juiciest details from the backstories to the back rooms, from what's on the menus to what's even better off, from the glamorous (and sometimes scandalous) clientele to the high-powered chefs. And now, we can be a part of this international delight of food, fun and fame!