Break up with your old tech: why choosing to recycle tech can help the planet

Fallen out of love with your tech? If it's time to break up with your old device and find yourself an upgrade, then don't just throw it away or put it in a drawer where you'll forget about it, choose to recycle instead!

You may be surprised to hear this, but the average UK household has an estimated £842 worth of unused tech in their home. So not only can you help the planet by recycling your old tech, but it's good for your pocket too. 

Keep reading to find out why choosing to recycle tech can help the planet!

In this blog:

What is e-waste?

E-waste is any electronic item that is nearing the end of its useful life and is discarded, donated or recycled. 

It is one of the fastest-growing waste streams and it's estimated that the UK produces around 1.3 million tonnes of e-waste each year.

What is the environmental impact of e-waste?

It may seem easier to throw your old tech away at your local landfill site or waste bin, but this contributes to e-waste and causes a number of environmental problems. 

As e-waste takes thousands of years to break down, it increases CO2 emissions and releases toxins into the soil which can get into water and food supplies if not managed correctly.

You may not know it but a lot of the valuable materials in phones and tech can be reused in other devices, which will keep them in circulation for much longer. 

For example, there are more than 60 elements in a phone, the majority of them can be recovered and reused.

Why is it important to recycle tech?

Recycling your old tech responsibly helps the planet in so many ways! The major benefit is reducing e-waste. By recycling your phone or tech, you'll prevent it from ending up in a landfill site.

There's a lot of pressure on the Earth's raw materials due to the increasing demand in tech. By recycling your old device, you'll save these precious materials and you'll give your device a second life.

Where can I recycle tech?

Here at musicMagpie, we're the UK's #1 Recycling Service and we believe in a circular economy where products are resold, recycled and refurbished. We refurbish 95% of the devices we receive and then use parts from the other 5% to help repair and refurbish other products. 

We'll recycle your tech responsibly and you'll get an instant valuation for your unwanted device. Then, all you need to do is send it to us for FREE and we'll pay you the day it arrives. 

It's also important to note that tech loses value over time, so if you have an old iPhone, tablet or another device that you no longer use,  trade it in as soon as possible! 

For more information about recycling your tech with us, head over to our how it works page.

What are you waiting for? Get started by heading over to our Sell My iPhone or Sell My Phone pages, or trade in tech today with musicMagpie to make a difference. You'll even help keep devices in use for longer when you go refurbished, including shopping refurbished phones and refurbished iPhone models – it's smart for you, smart for the planet!