How to use an Apple Watch: a detailed guide
The Apple Watch is a powerful and versatile wearable that can help you stay connected, stay on track with your fitness goals, and even manage your daily routine.
If you're looking at purchasing an Apple Watch or you want to learn some Apple Watch tips for the model you've already purchased, you've come to the right place!
With its intuitive interface and a wide range of features and capabilities, the Apple Watch can be an incredibly useful tool for anyone looking to streamline their daily life.
Whether you're a seasoned Apple user or new to the world of wearables, this Apple Watch user guide will walk you through everything you need to know to get the most out of your Apple Watch, from selecting the perfect model to setting it up and customising its features.
So, let's get started and discover how to use an Apple Watch like a pro!
In this blog:
- Which Apple Watch should you buy
- Is the Apple Watch waterproof?
- How to set up your Apple Watch
- Apple Watch tips and tricks
Which Apple Watch should you buy
If you are yet to buy your perfect Apple Watch, you might still be deciding which device is right for you. With so many models to choose from, we're here to help!
The newest Apple Watch Series is the Apple Watch Series 8, so any model numbered 7 or lower will be older – if you're a stickler for getting the latest and greatest model, it's something to note!
There are three main models to consider when looking at the newer Apple Watch devices: The Apple Watch Ultra, Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 8. Essentially, the Series 8 is Apple's flagship device, while the SE is a low-budget option and the Ultra is a high-end option.
If you live a very active lifestyle and enjoy activities such as free diving and scuba diving, the Ultra is worth the higher price tag. For those who don't want to spend too much but would like a basic Smartwatch, the SE is more than enough. And for anyone who feels like the SE is a little too underwhelming, the Series 8 (or even one of Apple's older Series Apple Watches) would suit you best.
To look through all your options, check out this blog on the best Apple Watch models of 2023.
Is the Apple Watch waterproof?
If you're wondering "is the Apple Watch waterproof", you'll be glad to know that chances are your watch is water resistant.
All Apple Watch models apart from the first Apple Watch are water-resistant up to 50 meters, so you'll be able to use them for shallow-water activities like swimming. If you've got the Apple Watch (1st generation) or Apple Watch Series 1, you won't be able to submerge your wearable in water as it is only splash-resistant.
The Apple Watch Ultra is the only model that can be used for high-velocity water activities such as scuba diving and free diving, as it is water resistant up to 100m with an EN13319 certification, depth gauge with water temperature sensor and has the Oceanic+ app for use as a dive computer.
It's advised that you enable Water Lock mode before going for a swim to prevent accidental touches triggered by water pressure. And when you're finished with your swim, you can turn the digital crown to eject any water that may have crept into the watch.
One thing to consider is that Apple states that soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes could degrade the quality of the seals on the Apple Watch – so be careful if you're wearing your watch in the shower!
How to set up your Apple Watch
If you've already got an Apple Watch ready and waiting, you'll need to know how it set it up.
It's always best to read the instructions that come with your device to learn how to use an Apple Watch, but here's a simple Apple Watch user guide you can follow for setting up your device:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Select "Start Pairing."
- Pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone. To do this, you can either hold the watch up to your phone's camera so that it can see the pattern on the watch or select "Pair Apple Watch Manually" and tap the watch's name in the Apple Watch app; you'll then be prompted to enter a 6-digit code that appears on the watch.
- In the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, select "Set Up as New Apple Watch."
- Choose which wrist you'll be wearing the watch on and which side you want the digital crown to be on.
- On the Terms and Conditions page, select "Agree."
- Enter your Apple ID.
- When prompted about Location Services, Siri and Diagnostics, select "OK."
- Create a 4-digit passcode for your watch.
- Choose whether or not you want to unlock the Apple Watch with your iPhone. Select "Yes" or "No" on your watch's display.
- Set up Apple Pay and Emergency SOS. This is optional, so you can bypass this step and set up these services later if you wish.
- When prompted, select "Install All" to download all of the available Apple Watch versions of the apps you already have on your iPhone. Alternatively, you can choose "Later" if you want to pick your own apps.
- Wait for your Apple Watch to finish syncing and then you're all done!
Apple Watch tips and tricks
Once you have completed setting up your Apple Watch, here as some helpful Apple watch tricks and tips to try out:
How to set up and switch Apple Watch faces
While showing you how to set up your Apple Watch face isn't the most riveting of Apple Watch tips, it's important to know how to do. Here's how to select an Apple Watch face:
- Open up the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Click on "Face Gallery."
- Click on a new face that you like.
- Click "Add."
- Click back on your chosen watch face.
- Scroll down.
- Press "Set as current Watch Face."
For those that already have their watch face set up, did you know you can have multiple faces? You can create your own collection of custom faces and switch between them easily. Here's how:
- With the current watch face showing, touch and hold the display.
- Swipe left all the way to the end, then tap the New button (+).
- Turn the Digital Crown to browse watch faces, then tap "Add."
- After you add it, you can customize the watch face.
- To switch back and forth between faces, you can simply swipe to the left and right from the watch face.
How to mute an incoming call
If you're regularly in situations where phone calls aren't permitted, you might need to know how to mute incoming calls on your watch.
Whether it's a call right in the middle of a meeting or you're just not up for a chat, simply cover the Apple Watch with your hand to mute it.
How to switch between apps and activate Siri
These Apple Watch tips are super easy and only require using the Digital Crown located on the side of your watch.
To jump back to your most recently used app, simply double-tap the Digital Crown.
To pull up Siri for voice commands, press and hold the Digital Crown. Alternatively, you can raise your wrist and say "Hey Siri" if your Hey Siri setting is enabled.
How to find your phone
One of the Apple Watch tricks that is extremely useful is using your wearable to find your phone. If you've misplaced your iPhone, you can use your Apple Watch to prompt your phone into playing a sound so that you can locate it – even if your phone is on silent! Here's how to do it:
- From the watch face, swipe up on the display to bring up Control Center.
- Tap the "Find Phone" icon on the right.
- Your iPhone will play a sound.
Fancy an upgrade? Buy refurbished Apple Watch models from musicMagpie to get your next Apple wearable for less! We even sell refurbished iPhone models and refurbished phones too, so you can buy your next device for even less. Plus, you can get fast cash when you trade in your old Apple Watch or iPhone trade in (take a look at our Sell My Phone page for more info) with us too.